Google announced a companywide holiday for this Friday, as it tries to curb employee burnout amid the pandemic
- Google is giving all employees Friday, Sept. 4 off as it continues to try to curb pandemic burnout.
- CEO Sundar Pichai informed Googlers of the companywide holiday last week.
- Most Google employees have been told to expect to work from home through June 2021.
- Are you a Google insider with more to share? Contact this reporter using encrypted email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or encrypted messaging apps Signal/Telegram (628-228-1836).
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Google has announced Friday, Sept. 4 will be a company holiday, as it continues to try to curb employee burnout during the pandemic.
CEO Sundar Pichai informed employees of the decision in a memo late last week, employees said. A spokesperson confirmed the news.
It will give Googlers in the US a long Labor Day weekend, but the holiday is being extended to all Googlers globally.
However, it applies only to full-time employees and interns. A spokesperson said holidays for temps, vendors, and contractors are determined by their direct employers.
The company previously gave Googlers May 22 off, the Friday before Memorial Day. Google at the time was planning a phased return to offices in June, as Business Insider previously reported.
But so far, only a small number of employees have been able to return of offices, and the company has since said the majority of employees should expect to work from home through June 30, 2021.
The extra holiday will be welcomed by the many managers currently working through employee performance reviews. Google hit pause on its March review cycle and is now reviewing employees for a 12-month window.
Googlers certainly aren't complaining about the bonus day off. In fact, some are having fun with it. On the company's internal meme generator, Memegen, one employee has made a meme of Pichai asking the internal chat bot to book himself a vacation day, and the bot mistakenly booking a company-wide holiday instead – a joke poking fun at how bad Google's internal bot is at helping Googlers with tasks.
Get the latest Google stock price here.
Source: Read Full Article