The presidential race comes down to 8 states
Welcome to Business Insider's daily healthcare newsletter, your daily dose of pharma, biotech, and healthcare news. Subscribe here to get this newsletter in your inbox every weekday.
We still don't have a winner in the presidential election, with the results coming down to eight key states. Follow along with Business Insider's coverage as the final votes come in.
Meanwhile, in healthcare news: Humana's betting big on a new way to pay for doctor's visits, all but three states had a surge in coronavirus cases on Election Day, and 9 common mistakes to avoid when trying to prevent catching COVID-19.
Humana just made $643 million on its bet on a new way to pay for doctor's visits — and the CEO signaled that this is just the start
- Humana recorded $643 million in additional income in the third quarter as Oak Street Health went public in August.
- Humana is a big investor in Oak Street, a chain of value-based primary care clinics that is rapidly expanding.
- Bruce Broussard, Humana's CEO, told investment analysts on Tuesday that the insurer plans to keep growing its footprint of value-based primary care clinics.
Read the full story from Shelby Livingston here>>
- Coronavirus cases have surged in all but three states as Americans headed to the polls on Tuesday.
- Americans were worried about both catching the virus and the economic impact of the pandemic as they cast their votes and await the outcome of the election.
Read the full story from Sarah Al-Arshani here>>
COVID-19 is surging across the US and Europe. Here are the 9 most common mistakes people make when trying to protect themselves from the virus.
- The coronavirus is surging across the US and Europe — again.
- Part of this trend is an inevitable sign of the changing seasons: As temperatures have dropped, more people have gone indoors to share space (and germs).
- There are many more things people are not doing well at, on an individual level, to prevent COVID-19 spread.
- Here are nine of the clearest culprits driving the uptick today, which you can do something about.
Read the full story from Hilary Brueck here>>
More stories we're reading:
- A truly 2020 crisis: Hand sanitizer buildup caused the breakdown of a ballot scanner in Iowa on Election Day (Business Insider)
- A guide to the FDA's upcoming meeting on an experimental Alzheimer's drug (Stat News)
- WATCH: Why you're a mosquito magnet (Business Insider)
- A top Walmart exec explains why the retail giant is pushing deeper into healthcare (FierceHealthcare)
Curious what's ahead for the healthcare industry? Subscribe to our newsletter here!
Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you’d like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email [email protected] and tell us your story.
Get the latest coronavirus business & economic impact analysis from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is affecting industries.
Source: Read Full Article