Hall of Famer Roberto Alomar terminated by MLB, put on ineligible list after sexual misconduct investigation
Major League Baseball has terminated Hall of Fame second baseman Roberto Alomar after investigating a 2014 incident of sexual misconduct, the league announced Friday.
Alomar, 53, was a consultant for MLB in his native Puerto Rico and filled myriad ambassadorial roles for the Toronto Blue Jays, for whom he made five of his 12 All-Star Game appearances and helped win World Series championships in 1992 and '93.
The Blue Jays announced they, too, were cutting ties with Alomar, who said in a statement he was "disappointed, surprised and upset with today's news," partly blaming "the current social climate" for the severity of the penalties.
Alomar is now on MLB's permanently ineligible list.
“At my office’s request, an independent investigation was conducted by an external legal firm to review an allegation of sexual misconduct reported by a baseball industry employee earlier this year involving Mr. Alomar in 2014," commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "Having reviewed all of the available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB’s policies, and that termination of his consultant contract and placement on MLB’s Ineligible List are warranted.
“We are grateful for the courage of the individual who came forward. MLB will continue to strive to create environments in which people feel comfortable speaking up without fear of recrimination, retaliation, or exclusion.”
Source: Read Full Article